Sunday, May 03, 2020

Imitation of Christ by Thomas à Kempis

  Aside from the Bible, and Catechism of the Catholic church, this is another book that is indispensable. The first copy that I have got, was colored blue, and fits just right into your pocket. The book that I was referring to was translated by Msgr. Ronald Knox. Sadly, it is not in my possession anymore.

The next Imitation of Christ that I have got was from a Catholic publisher. This one has a leather bound jacket, and it has illustrations inside. It is also a bit expensive. Around $24. Anyway, if it's a good book, and another nourishment for our soul, there's nothing wrong in purchasing one. It is very much worth it!

I'll never forget reading this. My favorite chapter is Chapter 20 which talks about "On the Love of Solitude and Silence." It says there, quoting from the book of Isaiah, "Commune with your own heart, and in your chamber, and be still." This part is very timely, especially now, where we are all in quarantine, and just staying indoors. Learn to love the solitude. I remember the homily of a priest from Bulacan, quoting from his sermon before, that it is in silence that God speaks in our hearts.

Let us pray that in all the things that we do, be it a menial task or not, may we glorify our Lord God, and our Lord Jesus always.

No comments: