Monday, May 04, 2020

Books from my Past

  While I was rummaging through my collection of books. I have seen a few of my Roman Catholic books and magazines. I am emphasizing the Roman word here because to those who do not know. Catholicism has other kinds or branches. We have the Oriental Orthodox, and the Greek Orthodox.

Anyway, back to these books of mine. Actually the red book, which is a hardbound book was the book of my late aunt Marina, it is the Student's Catholic Doctrine by Rev. Charles Hart, one of the textbook used before in the oldest Roman Catholic University in Asia, which is University of Santo Tomas. What I like about this book is that the doctrines are easily explained, it can be easily understood by everyone who have studied the English language. This book has a Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur. This book is 1959 edition. This book is broken down into 4 parts. Faith (Divinity of our Lord Jesus explained, The Creed etc.), Hope (meaning of Grace, The Lord's Prayer, Veneration of the Saints, Devotion to Our Blessed Lady), and Charity/Love. It also includes the commandments of God, the church, sacraments, virtues and vices. So this is a must-read for new converts, those who wants to know more about our faith. The code of Canon Law, and the Catechism of the Catholic church is freely available online.

The next oldies but goodies that I have see was the Catholic Digest, this is the counterpart of the Readers Digest. This copy of mine more than a decade. This was published by the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart. They are also the publisher of a local youth magazine called BARKADA. Because of that magazine, I became a member of the Companion of Our Lady of the Sacred Heart wayback.

Last but not the least, I included here the coloring book of Saints. I bought this when I was a teenager. I still enjoy coloring even if I'm all grown-up! Such fond memories over these old books. What about you? What are your favorite books to read when you were growing up. Feel free to comment.


No comments: