Thursday, September 10, 2020

Movie Review: Therese (2004)

           I have wanted to see this movie eversince I saw a preview of it on YouTube, more than a decade ago. St. Therese of the Child Jesus, and of the Holy Face, also known as St. Therese of Lisieux, was very influential to me. When I first read her story, in a book (Lives of Saints) given to me by my late aunt, she made an impression on me. At a young age, she already knew her vocation, and that was to become a Carmelite, a religious cloistered nun. So, I too had a desire to be a nun someday. Yes, I tried contacting religious orders, and I became a Carmelite not a religious but a lay Carmelite. More than a decade ago I was a former aspirant, was able to profess promises (not vows) in a Carmelite convent within the city where I live. 


Why do people feel drawn, and many love St. Therese. There are no miraculous events that took place when she was still alive, yet many people pray to her and ask for her intercession. Why? Because of her simplicity, and humility. After her death, there were many numerous reports of miracles and healings, and up to now still many miracles are attributed to her. Like her promise, she said, "When I die, I will send down a shower of roses from the heavens,I will spend my heaven by doing good on earth."

Her autobiography is a classic, and still a bestseller. If you have not read her diary, entitled in English, "The Story of a Soul," you should!

I really love this movie. The film director Leonardo Defilippis has done a great job with this film. St. Luke productions, their company, continues to make good, relevant and inspiring movies of Saints. He starred in this movie along with his wife, as the parents of St. Therese. The music used in the movie was also good. I was able to watch the whole movie yesterday. I'm thankful to the one who uploaded it on Facebook. This is another addition to my favorite religious movies. Let us not forget to love, for God is love. Like what St. Therese said, her vocation is love. 

No comments: