Saturday, April 13, 2013

Alabaster Jar

It's a fine sunny, Saturday. I was browsing in youtube for some Kari Jobe videos. (For those of you who don't know her, she's just my favorite Christian contemporary singer today!). Anyway, this song really struck me. The sermon of our pastor 2 Sundays ago (if I'm not mistaken), reminded me about Mary Magdalene.  Although I would say, there are many misconceptions about who the "real" Mary Magdalene was. In my former religion, Mary Magdalene was "branded" as the "prostitute", the "immoral one". When in fact if we study the bible, the woman who wiped Jesus' hair is not Mary Magdalene. There are other Mary's in the bible. Mary was called Magdalene because she came from the town of Magdala. Actually, I have always been interested by documentaries and videos when it comes to the apostles and even Jesus' women companion, just like Mary Magdalene. I have some video documentaries produced by the British Broadcasting Company. I am not endorsing them but in the documentaries that I've watched about Mary Magdalene, in their research it says that Mary Magdalene is not really poor or she doesn't belongs to the "lower class" people in Jesus' times. 

I'm glad that I was listening to our pastor's message that Sunday. From the book of Luke it says there that Jesus casted out seven demons from her. (see Luke chapter 8:2). When I heard our pastor's sermon, my view about Mary Magdalene was changed.  I was taught  wrongly who Mary Magdalene really was. It is also partly my fault because whatever the  church leaders said to me before I believe them easily. And I have not really read my bible at all before. It was only when I accepted Jesus that I came to know the importance and the "beauty"  of


GOD's word. I can say that we should really read the bible so we will not  be ignorant  and be easily fooled. So when a priest, a pastor or any preacher speaks to us or if we hear them preach something we will not be mislead and we will know if they're are teaching the "right" things or if they're teaching biblically "sound doctrine". 

In an article from BBC about Mary Magdalene it says there that, "Although we know something about Jewish society in ancient Palestine 2,000 years ago, we know very little about Mary herself. The Bible provides no personal details of her age, status or family.Her name, Mary Magdalene, gives us the first real clue about her. It suggests that she came from a town called Magdala. There is a place today called Magdala, 120 miles north of Jerusalem on the shores of the Sea of Galilee. We do know there was also an ancient place called Magdala from literature. The name occurs in the New Testament, and also in Jewish texts. Its full name is "Magdala Tarichaea". Magdala seems to mean tower, and Tarichaea means salted fish. If the name of the town was Tower of Salted Fish, it's no surprise that its main business was fishing. As a woman living in Magdala, Mary may have worked in the fish markets. One Jewish text which mentions Magdala, called Lamentations Raba, says is that Magdala is judged by God and destroyed because of its fornication. It is possible that the description of Magdala as a place of fornication is the origin of the idea that arose in western Christianity that Mary Magdalene was a prostitute."

I want to share a short excerpt from my life application bible (NLT),  Mary Magdalene was an early follower of Jesus who certainly deserves to be called a disciple. An energetic, impulsive, caring woman, she not only traveled with Jesus, but contributed to the needs of the group. Mary Magdalene is a heartwarming example of thankful living. Her life was miraculously freed by Jesus when He drove seven demons out of her. In every glimpse we have of her, she was acting out her appreciation for the freedom Christ has given her. Mary's faith was not complicated but it was direct and genuine. Jesus honored her childlike faith by appearing to her first and entrusting her with the first message of His resurrection.

So from the given text above we are given an idea why in Western Christianity Mary Magdalene was "labeled" wrongly. 

For this post of mine. I have a nice fitting song to this article that I wrote. Although it is not mentioned in the bible who anointed Jesus' feet with an expensive perfumed oil, it just says there "a woman". I just want all of us to reflect and be like this woman. Who gave her all for Jesus. Just like Mary Magdalene too! When Jesus came into their lives they were changed. They were made new! Despite of them being sinners and who sinned most of their lives. It is never too late to change!
To end this article of mine. I want to ask you. What is your "alabaster jar"? What precious thing can you give and offer to Our Lord Jesus without hesitation. These two women gave everything to Jesus without any question and they became faithful to Him until the end. What is the most extravagant act you can give to Jesus. The woman in the gospel gave Jesus' an expensive perfumed oil and Mary Magdalene became a faithful follower of Jesus, even in dangerous situations and a place where woman can't be unlikely seen, she was there. 

My prayer is for all of us to have a genuine love and devotion to Our Lord Jesus, always. That in everything that we do, we have Him in our mind and in our hearts.


(click on the title link below to view the music video)
---


This alabaster jar is all I have of worth
I break it at Your feet, Lord, it's less than You deserve
You're far more beautiful, more precious than the oil
The sum of my desires and the fullness of my joy
Like You spilled Your blood, I spill my heart
As an offering to my King

Here I am, take me as an offering
Here I am, giving every heartbeat for Your glory
Take me

This time that I have left is all I have of worth
I lay it at Your feet, Lord, it's less than You deserve
And though I've little strength, and though my days are few
You gave Your life for me so I will live my life for You

Like You spilled Your blood, I spill my heart
As an offering to my King

Here I am, take me as an offering
Here I am, giving every heartbeat for Your glory
Here I am, take me as an offering
Here I am, giving every heartbeat for Your glory, take me

Worthy, worthy, You are worthy, worthy is the Lord
Worthy, worthy, You are worthy, worthy is the Lord

Here I am, take me as an offering
Here I am, giving every heartbeat for Your glory
Here I am, take me as an offering
Here I am, giving every heartbeat for Your glory
Take me.


No comments: