Thursday, March 28, 2013

The Greatest Love


"But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; upon Him was the chastisement that made us whole, and with His stripes we are healed." - Isaiah 53:5

Lenten season is a time of fasting and abstinence for Catholics all over the globe. The remembrance of our Lord’s passion and death. They consider this time as a fitting day to practice mortification, penance, and for meditation on the mystery of our redemption.
Is it really a mystery? Christ has shown us clearly through His death and resurrection, that He has won over death, evil and sin. There’s nothing really “hidden” in that.  In abstaining from something, like from eating meat or extravagant food within this season or in anytime of the year, I don’t see anything wrong with that. As long we do it with good intention.

A lot of people now are re-enacting the passion and death of Our Lord Jesus in the streets and especially in the provinces, particularly in Pampanga. It is really indeed troubling.  Curious journalist have interviewed these people and most of them answered that they’re doing this in order for them to atone for their sins, that somehow this “act” will “lessen”or diminish the amount of sin in their lives. In Ephesians 2:8, we are reminded that it is not through our works that we are saved but through our faith. I once heard a pastor, explaining that our body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, and we are responsible for our own body. So these acts of mortification and inflicting pain in ourselves, doesn’t really glorify our Lord GOD. No amount of penitence or sacrifices can ever pay our sins! The good thing is that JESUS, has paid it all for us! Completely!
This time is an opportunity for us to reflect and meditiate on Our Lord’s passion, death and resurrection, to understand its significance and importance. More than family bonding, and get together,why not, bond by reading the the gospel and study the good news! You can also watch Christian movies like “The Passion of Christ”. Let us use this time wisely. I have nothing against going out and bonding with one another but remember this is not always about having fun or about ourselves! It’s all about HIM!
I am amazed by Our Lord’s great love for us. When I accepted Him in my life that is when I really understood, His sacrifice for us and GOD’s amazing grace to a sinner like me. Like a line from one of my favorite Christian song – “In His suffering He thought of me. He gave His life for me and He made a way for me to know Him!” What kind of love is that? So selfless!”


In closing, I’d like to say a short prayer.

“Dear Almighty Father in heaven, thank You for sending Your only son, our Lord Jesus. For His stripes we are healed. Lord Jesus, thank You for Your great love to us. Thank You for being my Lord and Savior and for not giving up on me. Guide me always everyday.” Amen.


--
(click on the title link below to redirect you to the music video)

 What Love is This? (MV)
You never change, you are the GOD you stay a while
when I'm afraid you calm and still my beating heart
You stay the same, when hope is just a distant thought
You take my pain
and you lead me to the cross

What love is this?, that you gave Your life for me
and made a way for me to know You
and i confess You're always enough for meYou're all i need

I look to You
I see the scars upon Your hands
And hold the truth
That when i can't You always can
I'm standing here beneath the shadow of the cross, 
I'm overwhelmed that I keep finding open arms

What love is this?,
that you gave your life for me and made a way for me to
know you.
And I confess, You're always enough for me
You're all i need

Jesus in Your suffering, You were reaching your thought of me.

No comments: